Thursday, April 29, 2010

How did I get here?

The end of spring semester brings out the nostalgic side in everybody. The weeks are filled with all kinds of lasts, and because I am studying abroad, lasts for eight months. It makes me sad to think that all of the highlights of the year have are now behind me. As fun-filled as finals are I can’t help but wish that I could go back in time, maybe to P-Day. P-Day, one of the best days of the year, is our school’s “Preparation Day,” a final hoorah before the stress of finals set in. The outdoor day of enjoyment includes giant inflatables to play on that bring out anyone’s inner child, an all you can eat food tent (including my favorite Skinny Pancake), and a comedian at night. Basically in a word, it’s AWESOME. Here is a picture of my friends and I lounging on the grass outside. Can you see the inflatables in the background?


It’s so hard to wrap my head around the idea that I won’t be here in the fall. As I’m traipsing around Peru so many exciting things will be happening at SMC. I won’t see the new freshman, I’ll miss the leaves Vermont changing colors, the fabulous Halloween dance and so many more things that make this school so wonderful. I won’t see some friends for a year because they will be studying abroad during the spring semester. The next time I will see them we will be seniors. CRAZY!! My senior friends are graduating and I am left with the realization that one day it will be my turn to leave too.

I am living in an alternate reality; one that is preparing me for when I leave St. Michael’s to step into the real world. So the question is…how did I get here? It feels like just yesterday that I was sitting in my fifth grade class learning long division. I remember seeing college students when I was younger and thinking that they looked so much older than I feel right now.

The only thing we can all count on is change, and right now for me and all of you, change is good. Change means having new experiences, making friends, and seeing the world. I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment