Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Don't know what's down this road, I'm just walking

Hello hello, i know it's been a while. Does anyone else ever feel like they are busier during the summer? I don't know why but lately I have been so swamped. So it's a good think then that I got to go visit my good friend and fellow SMC blogger, Michaela, at her home on the lovely Cape Cod. I had a fantastic time laying on the beach, discovering my love for the Real Housewives of NYC, and sampling seafood and ice cream. I saw our friends who returned from studying abroad in South Africa and I was so happy to see them. It's crazy how the semester flew by, I feel like I was just saying goodbye to them yesterday. Along with these treats, the Taylor Swift concert that Michaela and I went to was just the icing on the cake. Everything was so much fun and I was sad to leave on Sunday.

My trip was so wonderful, so it was probably time for Boston to develop 70 mph wind and torrential downpours that would cancel my flight to prevent me from leaving. Traveling complications are not foreign to anybody but my trip to the Cape was my first time flying solo, so I had never experienced them before. After waiting at Logan airport for two hours the airport staff said my flight was cancelled. And let me tell you something, people went wild. Perfectly normal and calm looking adults were yelling and fighting over seats on the next possible flight. The employee looked like he was going to cry and then it started thundering. Glancing out the window I was more that okay with not flying in the definitely dangerous weather. This is how I ended up taking a ten hour Greyhound home and discovering that Plattsburgh even had a bus station. While on the bus I discovered via text message from my mom that the plane I was supposed to be on magically became uncancelled and took off two hours after i left the airport. Fantastic.

After all of this happened I couldn't help but think about my next airborne journey to Peru. Again I will be flying alone with the added obstacle of a foreign language. I won't know what it's really going to be like until I get there. The uncertainty of my trip adds to the apprehension I have about a nine hour plane ride by myself. I realized though, that I can do this. Staying calm is the key, which is why I can say with confidence that I will not be screaming at any airline workers anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment