Monday, June 28, 2010

Decide what to be and go be it

What gets you up in the morning? A few days ago somebody asked me this and I thought long and hard about it. Things I live for are family, friends, travel, good music and the Sunday New York Times. I know this sounds sappy, but everyday I want to make my family proud and be the best possible version of myself, whatever this may be.

Throughout my life things that have influenced me have changed. When I was in middle school I wanted to be just like Rory from Gilmore Girls because she was so smart and driven to succeed. In high school my older cousin, Meghan, showed me how important it is to work hard for what I want. Now that I am in college I am constantly surrounded by people, friends and professors alike, who challenge and encourage me.

With this, five days a week I get up and go to work even though it is not something I really want to do (although I am lucky to be employed). One of my friends said that working at the campground motivates him to do well in school because he does not want to make weed wacking his life's vocation. Somebody has to do this type of work, but he is right, I don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life. Maybe that sounds arrogant, but last week I scraped yellow paint of 500 yards of curb and repainted it for the entire day. While I did derive some sense of accomplishment when I was finished, I wasn't really loving what I was doing.

It is so important to know what who you are and what you want to be, but deciding this is no small feat. My post-grad plans may change and I will have obstacles to overcome, but I am determined and excited about the future. I'm almost twenty years old, but I feel like my life is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment