Monday, April 23, 2012

The end of the beginning

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." A special thanks to oft quoted Winston Churchill for help starting off this Monday afternoon blog. These words really capture what is happening in the lives of St. Michael's seniors right now. We are not ending anything, but beginning another phase of our lives.

Confession time-I have a HUGE mental block around graduating. I half believe that it isn't going to happen, maybe the apocalypse will occur before I walk across the stage and get my diploma. Maybe I will find a wormhole and be transported back to my freshman year dorm. This sense of disbelief isn't helped by my Peace Corps medical forms. Completing them may turn out to be my life's vocation. I am also going to India four days after graduation, so my SMC activities aren't going to end until mid-June.

However, I went on my last trip to the Lund Family Center, which has been an important part of my time here. I presented my political science thesis at the school's Student Research Symposium. My friends and I are looking for apartments (with a year lease!) so that we can stay in the Burlington area after graduation. All signs point to me graduating, leaving the comforts of campus, and finding my way in the world outside. I can only hope that the weeks to come will be filled with friends and fun, and that we will all be ready to leave our cocoon when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment